Friday, November 21, 2008

Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I enjoy it because there are no presents to buy, no lights or decorations to put up or parties to attend. Don’t get me wrong…I enjoy all those things but sometimes they get in the way of celebrating the real reason for the holiday. Thanksgiving in its basic form is just that…”thanks giving.” At this time of year the students, faculty and staff of LSTC get a much needed rest from the end-of-the-term papers, finals, interviews and meetings as we stop and give thanks. Of course those papers and finals will still need attention over the next several days in order to finish out the term the first week of December, but as the holiday suggests, we might want to consider what we are thankful for.

In my home parish, our pastor has the children who are taking their First Communion prepare a list of fifty things they are thankful for. I haven’t seen any of the lists but I can imagine a seven or eight year olds list might contain things like: mom, dad, siblings, pets, friends, toys etc. As an adult, what would my list look like? What are the things I’m thankful for?

As a musician at heart, I turn to one of my favorite songs (please pardon the non-inclusive language):

Give Thanks
Lyrics by Don Moen, Music by Henry Smith

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He’s given
Jesus Christ, His Son

And now, let the weak say “I am strong”
Let the poor say, “I am rich”
Because of what the Lord has done for us!

© 1978 Hosanna’s Integrity Music


No matter what you find yourself doing this week, take some time out…maybe make a list…and give thanks to God for what God has done!

Peace,

Lu

No comments: