Saturday, September 20, 2008

There's No Place Like Home!

The famous story of the Wizard of Oz finds our heroine Dorothy carried away from her home in Kansas by a twister and dropped into the Land of Oz. There she meets all kinds of new people, sees some pretty amazing things and yet all she wants to do is go home. She doesn’t consider staying in this incredible place or check out all the new things she's experiencing but instead is determined to find her way home at all cost including taking on the Wicked Witch head to head.

As a commuter student at LSTC, I frequently feel the same way. LSTC is not "home" for me. While on campus I study on the shelf, eat my meals in the refectory and sleep in the Commuter House across the street. When classes are finished on Thursday I hurry down to the garage to get on my way home before rush hour hits. I hop into my Ruby Red (seriously!) Toyota, click my heels three times and utter Dorothy's famous words "There's no place like home...." and instantly....well...considering traffic on the Kennedy…not instantly....but an hour or two later I'm home!

After a weekend at home, Sunday evening too quickly approaches so I pack my suitcase and gear myself up for yet another week away. Although it sometimes feels like it, I am not carried away to the land of LSTC by a twister but I come willingly. I choose to immerse myself in this strange land called seminary and take time to breathe in and experience all that it has to offer. No, there isn’t a wizard, scarecrow or wicked witch but there is knowledge, community and God’s presence in every corner of LSTC. And when my time here is done, I can click my heels and go home.

But for now, the journey down the yellow brick road continues…

Godspeed,

Lu

No comments: