Tuesday, August 19, 2008

answering God's call

The summer after my first year of college I drove with my parents out to Lutheran Camp Chrysalis to pick my sister up from the first week of camp. The camp director and I chatted as my parents loaded up her stuff, as he was a counselor when I was a camper, and he mentioned that they were looking for another lifeguard." What are you doing this summer?" he asked on Friday, I faxed in my application on Saturday, and drove out on Sunday for my first of five amazing summers in outdoor ministry!

I have been incredibly blessed to be able to be the Outdoor Ministry Ambassador to Camp Chrysalis this past week. It holds a special place in my heart, and it was great to see all the improvements that have occurred since I was on staff in 2001 and 2002. The new cabins have air conditioning, there's a climbing wall, zip-line, and exciting new programs. Given the glut of superhero and comic-book films this summer, the theme of "Saints and Superheroes" was especially apropos and the youth connected these ideas with their faith lives throughout the week.

Though some things change, there will always be aspects of camp that never change. It's always great to see that the staff is excited and passionate to be working with youth. The middle-schoolers still oscillate between eye-rolling resignation and goofy enthusiasm. Dave the Maintenance Man stills knows absolutely everything about camp, and the Executive Directors Eric and Deanna still love their vocation at Chrysalis. Though this year's staff is still deciding what their major will be in college rather than their vocation later in life, I could see each of them answering God's call by making that week at camp the best possible for each camper.

Outdoor Ministry Ambassador & Seminarian, Rebecca Smith

1 comment:

said...

The Methodists got the groovin'est outdoor camp at Jumonseville.