Thursday, October 26, 2006

Fear, love, and trust

“Be terrified of the resurrection.” – What I think Dean Billman said during some remarks in Chapel a few weeks ago.

“Do I believe the things I do, because I know that they’re the truth. Or is it that I’m just afraid?” – song “Faithless Me” performed by Cravin’ Melon


In the explanation of the Ten Commandments in the Small Catechism, Martin Luther writes that “we should fear, love, and trust in God above all things.”

So what is the place of fear in our lives? Without a well developed sense of fear horror movies, roller coasters, and deep-fried Twinkies aren’t nearly as much fun.

But what about our life of faith? Do we fear – or awe – God and God’s work? Do we think about the ramifications of the resurrection and tremble? Do we often sit back and think, “Gosh! God’s redeemed all of creation! All the people I love and hate and am indifferent to, we’re all impacted by this. And I should start living like it!”

Do we act on faith because we’re scared of being wrong, because we’re scared that God is up on high with a chalkboard keeping score? Do we not act on faith because we’re afraid our faith isn’t strong enough?

Maybe now is a moment we can embrace God in fear (or awe) and love and trust and join in on God’s work in the world.

No comments: